Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Department of Social Sciences

University Registration

We arrange your enrolment at Humboldt-Universität as a part of our special service. This requires that you hand in all your documents by the indicated date in the email you received at the latest. If your documents are written in another language than German, English or French, please submit both the documents and copies of legally attested translations.

Please note: Only if you hand in all requested documents in due time we can guarantee that you receive the student ID and your campus card by the beginning of the semester. This is important, as the campus card serves also as your semester ticket for public transportation and your access to the library as well as to other university services. For instance, you won't be able to register for courses without it.

Documents needed:

  1. Proof of health insurance in Germany: In Germany it is obligatory to have a health insurance. Without proof of this you cannot be enrolled as a student. Please see also the extra section about this.
  2. Certificate of residency (Meldebescheinigung): This is only necessary if you are non-German. If you hold the German citizenship, please provide your adress in Berlin/Brandenburg. Obtain this document at the local Bürgeramt, as explained further on. If you cannot hand in the certificate of residency in time, because you do not have a permanent address in Berlin yet, you can hand in the certificate at a later stage.
  3. Copy of the visa: We need a copy of the personal data page of your passport and of the residence permit itself. As a citizen of the USA or Canada, you do not need an entrance visa for Germany. Still, you have to obtain a residence permit for Germany within the first 3 months of your stay. We are glad to assist you with the procedure after your arrival in Berlin. You therefore might not be able to hand in your residence permit in time for enrolment. This is no problem, as long as you hand in the confirmation of the appointment at the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung) you booked online.
  4.  Statement of disenrollment (Exmatrikulationsbestätigung): If you have been enrolled at a German university before, hand in a statement of disenrollment of the register of students.

Please note: This does not apply if you attended Erasmus or an exchange program in Germany.