Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Department of Social Sciences

Residence Permit

After completing the enrolment procedure, all non-EU citizens have to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung). To do so, you can (a) either go to the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung) or (b) to the ORBIS Visa Service of Humboldt-Universität.

(a) Berlin Immigration Office

Landesamt für Einwanderung

Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24
13353 Berlin

We highly recommend setting up an appointment online via.

Documents you need:

  • Acceptance letter/student ID from Humboldt-Universität;
  • Passport;
  • 2 biometric passport pictures;
  • Certificate of residency ('Meldebescheinigung');
  • Proof of health insurance (chip card, health insurance form); 
  • At least € 100,- for the registration fee;
  • Proof of financial support (bank account statement, scholarship notice, letter from parents covering €600/month);
  • An entrance visa, if necessary;
  • Visa application form 'Aufenthalt zum Studium /Sprachkurs'.

They may also ask you to hand in additional documents. Forms and further information are available online on their website.

(b) ORBIS Visa Service

ORBIS is the international club of Humboldt-Universität. It also provides visa services for international students. The service includes applying for and extending residence permits at the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung). Thus, you are spared the trip there. However, take into account that you need to wait for a couple of weeks before you get your passport back. Documents to be handed in are the same listed above.

International Club "Orbis Humboldtianus"

Unter den Linden 6
10117 Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 2093-46746

Main building, room 1071