Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Sozialwissenschaften


Applications from international graduates are especially welcome.

Applicants must have earned 240 ECTS through a bachelor AND an additional year of studies in another program (master or bachelor). It nos NOT possible to apply with one bachelor's degree only, even if it is worth 240 ECTS.

Further requirements are (please also consider the FAQ section):

  • A minimum of 20 ECTS in social and/or political science theory
  • A minimum of 10 ECTS in empirical social science research methods
  • Certification of Proficiency in English at level B2; equivalent: IELTS: 5,0 or TOEFL IBT: 87; PBT: 560 or Cambridge First Certificate FEC: B-C or UNIcert II-Certificate: 3,0 or DAAD Certificate: C
  • Certification of Proficiency in German: level A1 (Certifications must proof successful examination of the language course. Certifications of attendance do not suffice!)
  • Please add a CV and a letter of motivation that includes information on your research interests (max. 2 pages) to your application package. 

The MA RTP can only be started in the winter semester.
Applications have to be submitted by May 31st according to the procedures mentioned below. After the application deadline all submitted applications will be reviewed and ranked. Individual interviews will take place via Zoom during summer upon further notice.

Applications may only be considered if all admission criteria as well as all formal aspects of the application process are met. All application documents must be complete before the application deadline. Late documents are not accepted!

The application process (if to UniAssist first or directly to HU) varies for different groups of applicants:

Please, start the application process early, especially considering the time for international bank/money transfers.

What is especially important to consider when applying to Uni-Assist:

  • As Uni-Assist does give you feedback when forms are missing, please make sure that you hand in your application early enough to be able to add or correct something after the first check. 
  • Make sure that your fee for Uni-Assist is booked on their account before the deadline has ended!
  • All documents, except for English language ones have to be translated into German by an authorized, state-licensed translator.   
  • Your CV must not have any gaps, list all your periods of education or other activities without any break (or indicate a 'break', such as travelling). 
  • Please do not forget to fill out the form "Selbstzuordnung/Self-Assessment" (can be found in UniAssist) in order to show that you acquired 20 CP in social sciences theories and 10 CP in methods.
  • Please check every link very carefully and make sure that you've uploaded all required documents (for example the school leaving certificate).  
  • This year no certified copies are necessary and all documents to UniAssist have to be submitted online only!


Mitteilungen des Instituts




Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Kultur-, Sozial- und Bildungswissenschaftliche Fakultät
Institut für Sozialwissenschaften
Unter den Linden 6
10099 Berlin



Institut für Sozialwissenschaften
Universitätsstraße 3b
10117 Berlin