Direkt zum InhaltDirekt zur SucheDirekt zur Navigation
▼ Zielgruppen ▼

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Institut für Sozialwissenschaften



Applications from international graduates are especially welcome.

Applicants must have overall 240 ECTS through a first university degree (Bachelor with 180 ECTS) and at least 1 year of MA or further BA education in political science, sociology or an adjacent discipline.

Further requirements are (please also consider the FAQ section):

  • A minimum of 20 ECTS in social and/or political science theory
  • A minimum of 10 ECTS in empirical social science research methods
  • Certification of Proficiency in English at level B2; equivalent: IELTS: 5,0 or TOEFL IBT: 87; PBT: 560 or Cambridge First Certificate FEC: B-C or UNIcert II-Certificate: 3,0 or DAAD Certificate: C
  • Certification of Proficiency in German: level A1

Applications may be submitted from June 2-July 15 according to the procedures mentioned below. After the application deadline all submitted applications will be reviewed and ranked. Individual interviews will take place via Skype.

Applications may only be considered if all admission criteria as well as all formal aspects of the application process are met. 

The application process varies for different groups of applicants:

  • Applicants with German citizenship and a German 'Abitur' and German BA/MA degree can apply directly to the program by using the HU online application form. This can be retrieved from: Portal für Studieninteressierte

  • Applicants with German citizenship and a foreign high-school diploma and/or foreign BA-degree and/or foreign MA-degree have to apply via Uni-Assist. There is a fee for using Uni-Assist of 75€: Information for applicants from abroad or please look at the following Merkblatt and application guideline directly
  • Foreign citizens with a degree from Humboldt-Universität can apply directly to the program by using the HU online application form. This can be retrieved from: Portal für Studieninteressierte
  • Foreign citizens without a German 'Abitur' or a degree from Humboldt-Universität have to apply via Uni-Assist. This also includes foreign citizens who obtained a university degree in Germany other than the HU. There is a fee for using Uni-Assist of 75€. See: Information for applicants from abroad and read the application guideline carefully

Please, start the application process early, especially considering the time for international bank/money transfers as well as mail transfer of your printed application.

What is especially important to consider when applying to Uni-Assist:

  • Hand in certified copies in paper form in addition to the online application.
  • As Uni-Assist does give you feedback when forms are missing, please make sure that you hand in your application early enough to be able to add or correct something after the first check. 
  • Make sure that your fee for Uni-Assist is booked on their account before the deadline has ended!
  • All documents, except for English language ones have to be translated into German by an authorized, state-licensed translator.   
  • Your CV must not have any gaps, list all your periods of education or other activities without any break (or indicate a 'break', such as travelling). 
  • Please do not forget to fill out the form 'Selbstzuordnung'/'Self-Assessment' in order to show that you acquired 20 CP in social sciences theories and 10 CP in methods.
  • Please check every link very carefully and make sure that you've uploaded all required documents (for example the school leaving certificate).  

If you have any questions, please contact us at: masterrtp.sowi@hu-berlin.de