The BGSS maintains strong national and international networks. Besides various university collaborations, the BGSS network also consists of non-university partner institutions, e.g. the Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB). BGSS doctoral researchers are closely involved in social science research activities at these regional non-university partner institutions.
The BGSS Research Environment
BGSS research is closely linked with the Humboldt Center of Social and Political Research (HCSP) of the Department of Social Sciences. We are establishing a post-doctoral research culture that integrates doctoral researchers for example in Junior Research Groups.
- Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- Department of Social Sciences (ISW), Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB)
- Deutsches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (DIW)
- Institut für Forschungsinformation und Qualitätssicherung (iFQ)
- Centre Marc Bloch (CMB)
- Hertie School of Governance (HSoG)
The BGSS maintains strong bilateral partnerships with these institutions, including the option of research internships, joint junior research groups and post-doc opportunities. Some researchers of these partner institutions are members of the BGSS Faculty. Doctoral members of the research staff can become associates at BGSS.
Within these multilateral networks BGSS takes many different roles. For example, it acts as the coordinating institution of the European PhD Program in Socio-economic and Statistical Studies.
- European University Institute (EUI)
- Middle East Technical University (METU)
- Istituto di Scienze Humane (SUM)
- École Normale Supérieure de Cachan (ENS)
- King´s College, London
- University of Zürich, NCCR
- Higher School of Economics, Moscow
Transatlantic networking has a long tradition at Humboldt and the BGSS, for example the Humboldt-Duke University Exchange Program which allows two ISW/BGSS master or doctoral researchers to enroll at Duke`s doctoral program in Political Science for one year. Besides BGSS successfully applied for the Einstein Visiting Fellowship of Berlin´s Einstein Foundation, currently hosting the American Sociologist Craig Calhoun (NYU).